A little bit about Me

Santa Monica, CA
Hi Everyone and welcome to my blog! I hope you enjoy reading about my life, business, and of course...looking at my photos. Feel free to always leave comments and contact me. Much Love! Ellen

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Making lemonade out of lemons...

Not sure if anyone remembers that my friends April & Lindsey of Sweet Monday Photography let me tag along with them to a wedding in September, but they did and it was such a wonderful experience. They are amazing photographers as well as amazing women. Spending a whole day with them shooting was such a valuable experience that I can't ever thank them enough for. I feel so lucky that they haven't just been mentors to me over the past few months, but friends as well. Thanks ladies for letting me tag along and for dealing with all of my questions - I had such a blast!!

Unfortunately, it took me months to start editing the wedding pictures which was unexpected, but being pregnant and sick, working full time, and moving took a toll on me. Everything photography unfortunately took a back seat for a few months, but I'm BACK and ready to go with my work. In going through the pictures, I've found some incredible surprises and a few disappointments, but I know that comes with the territory. One picture in particular that I was certain I could not salvage was a shot of the bride and groom as they had JUST walked down the aisle. Lindsey suggested that I wait for them to exit the ceremony space while she and April got them kissing, walking down the aisle, etc. Well, I was perched - ready and waiting for the bride and groom to come around the corner. I had taken a test shot of the space to check my camera settings and THEN my flash didn't recycle quick enough - AH! Right as they walked around the corner, they kissed (they're FIRST kiss that wasn't planned), and my flash didn't go off!!! Oh, and they got married later in the day so it was pretty much dark by the end of their ceremony. I was so bummed, but I realize that these things happen and you have to move on.

Well, as I was going through the pictures, I decided to play w/ the exposure in Lightroom and see what would happen to the image if I manipulated it a ton. By bumping up the exposure significantly, I was able to capture an image, but it is SO grainy. Instead of throwing it out, I decided to embrace the grain and try to give the photo a vintage look. I've gotta say that I'm happy with the result and love the fact that I took an unfortunate situation and turned it into something wonderful!

Until I have more pictures to share, here is the "vintage" shot. Thanks again to Sweet Monday Photography!!

No comments: